Week 2: Activity


I sketched out a few tests and filled them in with some thick markers I had laying around. This one was my favorite so I decided to use it as a template.



I duplicated the marker sketch in spray paint on cardboard. I decided to switch up the ‘M’ but looking at it now, I prefer the original.



During the process I did a lot of experimentation with the medium, since it was my first experience with spray paint. To create the speckled effect, I pulled back on the nozzle and pressed it down as lightly as I could. I wish I had got more colors of paint so that I could have used the speckling to create some more depth.



Another technique I tried was to flip the paint can upside down and press the nozzle into the cardboard. This caused these stripe effects. 

IMG_4771 IMG_4772


I wasn’t sure I liked the stripe effects and I wanted something to fill out the space around the letters. I also want to incorporate the dripping paint look. In hindsight it would have looked better do do this first to keep it behind the lettering.



I feel like I learned a lot about graffiti art during this experimenting. I’m looking forward to exploring the medium further in the future.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s